At a first glance enabling TRIM on a luks encrypted volume looks quite easy, and, as a matter of a fact it is. The shitstorm starts when trying to enable TRIM on the root volume, but, let’s go one step at a time. First of all, enabling trim on a regular not encrypted volume is pretty easy; just open the file “/etc/fstab” and add the flag “discard“. You may also want to add the flag “noatime” to prevent the OS from writing additional informations regarding last access date and such, it’s not strictly necessary but it will save the SSD’s cells some useless write operations.
Thunar 1.6.2 (the default XFCE file manager) doesn’t seems to provide any kind of built in search function by default. A good way to address this issue is use catfish (which is installed by default in Fedora 18), just open Thunar, go to “Edit” and then “Custom Actions” and add the following line: catfish –fileman=thunar –hidden –path=%f
With Samba being the clusterfuck it is, every time a new version is released you have to expect something to be messed up. This time they added a bunch of new features like MS Active Directory support, too bad that now the simple directory sharing is broken/not working like it did before. Something like 1 year ago I wrote a small guide about how to setup a Samba share on Centos 6 and I used the same smb.
During the installation process of VMware Workstation 9 some modules need to be compiled but unfortunately Workstation 9.0.1 doesn’t seems to be able to find by itself the correct kernel headers directory. If kernel headers aren’t already installed, open the terminal and type as root: yum install kernel-*. Wait for the process to be completed and then: sudo cp /usr/src/kernels/_kernelversion.fc18.x86_64/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /lib/modules/_kernelversion.fc18.x86_64/build/include/linux/. This should do the trick.
The first time I open Thunar (the default XFCE file manager) in fedora 17 it takes up to 30 seconds to show up. This is most likely due to Thunar trying – without being able – to mount a remote network folder, to solve the issue just open “/usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount” and set “AutoMount=false“.
First of all, forget everything about the myth: “Loonix, it just werks”. Close to nothing “werks” out of the box, tho with a good amount of patience and a bit of tinkering there are good chances to make the whole thing working in a decent manner. First of all, the box I’ve here is a Thinkpad Edge 320 – 12983RG and I’ve installed Fedora 17 x64 with XFCE as DE.
I still can’t believe I finally made it, I quite lost the count of the times I told myself “I have to buy a damn pair of headphones” but I never actually did it. Finally, after my usual one year or so of digging through specialized forums and stuff, 2 weeks ago, I bought my first pair of decent headphones. Choosing the headphones that better suit your needs is quite a complex task because of at least 2 things:
This month Hwbot.org’s competition is called “October rush”, it consists in 7 or 8 stages each one lasting only three days. Because of my last year or so in which I was close to completely inactive I don’t have anymore much hardware, one of the few things I still have is my socket 939 setup and a bunch of single core A64 CPUs. The third stage of the competition was 3DMark 01 with the limitation of using a socket 939 CPU, which is exactly what I have.
Two weeks ago I gave my golden FX-55 Clalwhammer a run at LN2 but looks like I’ve not yet blogged about it; let’s do it then. Since the first try using the single stage the CPU proved to be a good one but being a 130 nm voltage whore didn’t made the pretesting easy. With the help of LN2 everything became easier and luckily the CPU loves volt and cold (the below result was made with a CPU temperature of around -100° C).
I’m not so used to ESXi, it’s been a while since the last time I installed it and when today I had to do it I forgot where I have to put the damn license. VMware did a very good job hiding the menu and the official site is good at everything but giving useful informations, so after a while I found by myself where the license page was. Guess I should post the procedure here for future reference.